Sunday 8 November 2020

A Bar in Amsterdam

And so I'll do it. At the very least, I'll try. Forgiveness I hang my head as shame courses through me again. I wish I hadn't said anything. I wish I hadn't asked for help. Because this is where it always lands: that it's my fault. I'm only traumatised, Irene says, because I haven't forgiven my abusers. A generation ago, seeing people spend long periods of time confined in so-called mental hospitals for problems, such as BPD and psychotic disorders, was a fairly common occurrence (see articles 3 and 10 for more information about psychotic disorders). Today, however, inpatient psychiatric wards don't serve as mainstays in the treatment of BPD. Mental health professionals use these more intense treatment settings only when people appear to be in imminent danger of causing harm to themselves or other people. When professionals turn to inpatient wards, they usually use them only for a short time (anywhere from a few days to a week or so), mostly for the purpose of stabilizing the person and perhaps regulating the medication regimen. Some experts in the treatment of BPD warn against using inpatient treatment unless there is an acute, clear-cut need to manage medication issues. In part, that's because some patients find inpatient settings quite rewarding, supporting, and nurturing compared to the scary world outside the hospital walls. Therefore, these patients may end up seeking hospitalization with increased frequency over time. Many experts think that this pattern of frequent hospitalization ends up causing more harm than good. Combining and changing treatments About half the people who seek treatment for BPD receive treatment in more than one format or setting, either at the same time or one after the other. They always had to say something to make me feel like less than I was, that I was worthless and only capable of cleaning houses. I noticed that if I was exceptionally tired, their words almost started to have an effect on me--that for a moment I believed it.

Once rested, I realized exactly how dangerous it is to say things like that to someone, because maybe another person would take that negative thought and really start believing it. This can be so detrimental to a person's self-esteem. From that experience, I learned the power that negative words can have on a person, and thus the opposite--that the power of kind words and positive thinking can be equally as powerful, if not more so. Being a Successful Nurse Anesthetist I have been working full time as a certified registered nurse anesthetist for the past twenty-four years, since graduating from Columbia University. For the past twelve years, I've worked for an anesthesiology group that provides anesthesia services for the largest hospital in the area. I specialize in anesthesia for neurosurgery, including brain tumors, aneurysm clippings, and spinal fusions. I have also specialized in anesthesia for trauma, transplants, and burns. In any case, if you feel that this angle is changing, please do not surrender! Don't care-don't accept nonsense apologies. If it feels like nonsense - it may be. The first rule-if you want to deal with emotional blackmailers, trust your instincts. Trust your senses. Once the emotional manipulator finds a successful manipulation method, it will be added to their hit list, and you will get a stable diet. The emotional manipulator is a helpful photo. If you demand them to do something, they will almost always agree-if they did not do it voluntarily. Then, when you say OK, thank you, they will give out a heavy sigh or other non-verbal sign to let you know that they don't want to do anything. When you tell them that they don't seem to want to do anything, they will reverse the situation and try to make it look like the course they want and your unreasonableness. Mindfulness is one incredibly helpful way to do this, helping shine a light on these parts and bring them into view. But simply being mindful of traumatized parts of ourselves does not necessarily lead to their integration.

When it comes to trauma, we need to find a way to engage with these parts in a relational way, building connection and trust as opposed to just observing them. When we can do this, we can fully leverage the power of mindfulness for the sake of trauma healing. IFS offers a way to do this. Developed by Richard Schwartz,3 IFS integrates concepts from well-established therapeutic models such as narrative, structural, and family therapy. IFS forwards the notion that the mind is composed of a constellation of subpersonalities referred to as parts--not dissimilar from a family with different members who all have different temperaments. In IFS work, people learn how to engage with their parts relationally, through inner dialogue, visualization, or sensations in the body. Each of our parts has valuable and inimitable qualities that make us who we are. We may have a part of ourselves that can be very productive in the face of a deadline or a part that knows how to connect well with others. In it, a person begins to laugh on the subway, and eventually everyone begins to laugh. This is how blocks are resolved. However, not everyone wants to lose their blocks - because then they have nothing left to hold on to. People have become used to their blocks and are subsequently not always prepared to let them go. Imagine that you become the subject of an outburst of anger - this means somebody wants to blame you. In `normal life' an outburst of rage is useful for the person experiencing it; The general rule, however, goes: The attacked (that's you! A person in D4, for example, won't attack somebody who is in D2 because the `D2-er' has less energy. You could even pat yourself on the back if you're attacked, because you obviously have more energy than the other person. This thought alone could help you emerge from the stress caused by the attack. Who gets to keep this? Who should it go to?

HOMEWORK OF THE LOGISTICAL AND MEDICAL SORT Finally, here's a list--the last homework of the article! Logistical death prep and the heart kind aren't that different--indeed, they're wildly connected. To whom we decide to give our money, if we want our organs donated, if we don't want extended medical care--all of these things are, after all, about our beliefs, our values, and our ethics. That said, there are some things to take care of that are more legal or logistical in nature. The basic thing to remember, of course, is that you may be in a position where you can't speak for yourself and that's really lousy. You should consult with an attorney, of course, but the basics to cover are: This dispenses of your assets and is your final statement of what should happen to your material possessions. Bargaining: Just let me live to see a grandchild or another special holiday. I'll do anything just to exist. Depression: I can't do anything. I can't fight this. I'm too sad to care about life. Acceptance: I'm at peace with who I am. I'm able to see that I am improving. I'm at peace with the future. These stages happen over time, and we will slip back and forth between them. We may stay in one stage longer than another. Chaos theory is the theory of tiny changes creating irrationally massive differences, and quantum theory uses irrational concepts to describe how tiny things behave (for instance, they flit in and out of existence! How and if the electromagnetic structure of the pericardium protects our heart and allows us to love our life and stay out of emotional mischief is a mystery, but it is getting awfully close to the meaning of life.

Whilst the pericardium can be seen to shield the heart from electromagnetism - a coarse form of Qi - how does that work in a way that not only protects us but also provides our life with meaning? The science of this appears more metaphysics than physics, a problem for philosophers rather than physicists. It is beyond current science to explain why you fall in love with someone. Indeed, I hope it always is - some things are more beautiful as a mystery. Despite the mystery, science can tell us something about at what level this is occurring. In the Chinese medical model, the vibrating semi-crystalline structure of the Pericardium enwraps the Heart. Electromagnetic energy from the Heart passes through this, and energy entering the Heart has to pass through the Pericardium to enter. To all those nay-sayers out there who think this sounds ridiculous, it is no more ridiculous than finding there are parts of your house where your mobile phone has bad reception: the walls are preventing electromagnetic radiation from entering, meaning that you cannot communicate with your loved ones. If I would just forgive them, her theory goes, the flashbacks and dissociation would simply melt away. Even as the shame nags at my guts, part of me is dubious. Part of me wants to look her in the eye and tell her that she's wrong. But she's powerful, and I'm not, and years of abuse taught me not to stand up to people more powerful than me. So I retain the self-protective shame posture of submission, and I mumble an apology, and promise myself silently that I will never initiate another conversation with Irene again. I was a few months into my breakdown when this conversation happened. It was only one in a series of similar conversations that I'd been having with people for some time. I didn't understand what was happening to me--my symptoms, my multiplicity, the flashbacks, the dissociation--and the only answer that ever seemed to be offered to me was that I needed to forgive. That my symptoms were evidence, only, of my unforgiveness. And so for weeks I tried desperately `to forgive'. Thus, you may begin with individual therapy and later add group therapy. You may even seek partial hospitalization for a few weeks in addition to your individual and group therapies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.