Sunday 8 November 2020

You Hit Me Where It Hurts

Her gentleness anchors me. I feel safe with her even while I feel unsafe within myself. I can only tolerate it for a couple of minutes, but I know that something small has shifted, and partly only because I didn't argue back. We return to the familiarity of words. It's just controlling a feeling with a belief. I'm trying to help myself, and it does help in the short term, but it doesn't improve anything in the long term, does it? It is hidden in the ground and has yet to germinate. But all of a sudden I see the self-hatred as a strategy rather than a reality. Do you remember learning to ride a bike as a child? You started out with a lot of help. Either training wheels or a person had to hold you up or you fell over. Gradually, you learned to balance on two wheels with support. Then the training wheels came off or the person let go. For a second or two, you were on your own. Balanced for only a short time, the wheels started to wobble and you needed some extra help again. Learning to ride a bike takes most kids repeated trials and a lot of falls. For some kids, the balancing is too scary and too difficult. They may give up only to try again in a few months or even a year. I went straight to university and completed (with difficulty) a degree in veterinary medicine. I never attended any special schools or experienced any intervention for my problems, which in hindsight must have been more and more apparent as I progressed farther into my teens.

Academically, I never had any problems. My biggest difficulties began when I was around thirteen, in high school. My problem was social interaction (although I didn't have a word for it then). I wanted friends desperately. I was vaguely aware that there was a sort of parallel universe where people had lots of friends. For example, most (not all) of my other classmates had many friends, as did the boys in the adventure articles I read when I was young. Difficulties Making Eye Contact and Small Talk A very strange thing happened to me whenever I tried to speak to people informally (like exchanging break-time banter between classes). On a deeper level, men seem to understand the appeal of humor and spend a lot of time competing with other men to tell the best jokes to improve their status. Many men are also annoyed when a man tells a joke, especially when a woman is present or even laughing. A man might think that the person who tells a joke is not only a bastard, but he is not that funny, think about it even though all his women are good for laughing. The point for men to understand is that humorous men look more attractive to most women. Fortunately, you can learn to be fun. Arm Body Language The arm is an exciting accessory, with a ball on the top, a hinge in the middle, and a somewhat complicated toolset at the end. Also, take care to keep your arms still. This is usually where the deceiver starts when trying to control body language (they may even use one hand and the other to keep them yet). The arm is an innovative, expandable device that can make us bigger or smaller without moving the rest of the body to extend the arm. Beliefs that declare themselves to be true. Beliefs that sit like too much treacle in my guts and refuse to budge or be digested.

This is how I live. I don't know how I know what I know. I just know it. And my guilt and responsibility for the abuse is a foundational piece of knowledge, of how I am in the world, and how it all came to be. So her question is moot. Irrelevant. But she presses the point. What did you do that led to you being abused? That is because we are all different. That's the concept of bio-individuality. Plus, cancer is multi-faceted. That means that just one approach will rarely wipe out a particular type of cancer. And cancer is ever-evolving. That means that a treatment that worked last month or even last week may no longer be effective today for no apparent reason. In this article, we'll explain how the power of the OPCs in French grape seed extract have unique abilities to target and defeat cancer in several ways: Prevents carcinogenesis: Stop cells from becoming cancerous at all. Inhibits tumorigenesis: Stop cancer cells from clumping together and forming advanced cancerous tumors. Promotes apoptosis: Tell wildly reproducing cancer cells to return to their normal life cycles. Then slowly begin to sit up. Putting the Practices Together: Your Energy Medicine Yoga Practice

If you combine key practices and techniques from weeks 1 through 8, you will have an ideal Energy Medicine Yoga practice. If you choose to do them all together, you won't do them in the exact order you learned them in, because sometimes the concepts that lead to the poses need to come earlier in the teaching cycle than the physical poses come in the sequence. Intelligent sequencing, called vinyasa krama, helps us lay out a practice that follows the energy patterns of the body and helps us open the body up in an intelligent way. We start, as always, waking the body up. Then we follow with standing poses, inversions, backbending poses, seated poses and twists, restorative inversions, and savasana. The template on the following articles gives you the most important poses from the preceding seven weeks. If you do just the most powerful and necessary practices, the routine will take you twenty to forty minutes. You can adjust how much time you spend in the poses as you start to get the feedback from your body. Other times it will involve creating specific agreements that support the communities you're offering mindfulness to. Like what the monk did with Rachel, our work is to try to track the individual needs of survivors and offer counsel that best serves their recovery. If I was stronger, Sam said to me, I'd be able to stick with my practice. But I can't. I feel like a failure. I nodded into the camera on my computer. Sam had reached out to me from Italy, where he was living in his friend's attic. He'd been a devout meditation practitioner for years, attending 10-day meditation retreats twice a year and maintaining a diligent meditation practice at home. But his last retreat had left him dismayed. Halfway through, he'd started feeling overtaken by rage and panic. Basic knowledge of acupressure and massage can do enormous things for patients in Emergency Departments and hospitals. In Chinese medicine you are not considered a ripe practitioner until you are at least 60, so even I still have a long way to go (I hope).

Despite that, many of my patients benefit from simple techniques that reduce pain, increase mobility, and sometimes even `cure' their conditions. Anyone can learn these techniques. It is my sincere hope that more and more Western practitioners will start using Acupressure/puncture, raising the standard of care for their patients. As the principles of Acupuncture become accepted and understood, Acupuncture will resume its rightful place - as an integral first-line treatment for the sick patient. One of the leading websites on Evidence Based Medicine - Bandolier (www. Know what you are measuring. It was a pertinent way of pointing out the problem of bias and confounding factors in a trial - bias will wreck trials as surely as a train will wreck a car left on its line. If you know what you are measuring then you will know if there is any bias or any confounding factors present. It's like I've somehow taken two steps back from the montage that is my `internal working model', the collation of beliefs and predictions about the world forged in me since the very first day of my life, and I can see it for what it is. Hating myself doesn't make me safe. It just perpetuates the abuse. I don't quite know how these epiphanies occur, just that they are happening with increasing regularity in therapy, and that resisting the dissociative fog is key to it. When I allow myself to drift, I don't see things. It feels safer and numbs away painful feelings, but I don't have these moments of insight either. The more I'm staying present, the more often the aha moments come. I know I'll need to write this session up later, to reinforce the insight. It's felt familiar and safe. It's maintained the status quo in my head, the sense that this is the way the world is. A few kids have so much trouble that they never learn to ride a bike. But, fortunately, most kids stick with it long enough to learn how to ride without support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.