Saturday 7 November 2020

Ain't Going to Goa

It turned out that the orthopedic device fitted during surgery had been incorrectly attached to my knee, and it was pressing directly onto the hole. Since I could neither get up nor remove the device, I only had one option for the time being: to adopt complete `acceptance' of the pain. And as a result, the pain was transformed into energy. The surgeon told me that he'd really only seen accidents like this in children before. In his opinion, I would never properly run again and would certainly never be able to ski. What can I say? Six months later I was standing on skis again, and today I can kneel and move my knee without restrictions. However, guidance is needed for this! He questions deeply and laughs deeply. He may not be camping or exploring or able to volunteer at local ESL classes as he once did. But he is, after all, a wonderful example of doing all of the above within his means and in his own way. So if you feel like this list is only for the young and healthy, that it's too hard for those feeling old and sick and unhealthy, well, it's good to remember that it's our job to live the best we can with what we've got. This goes for me, too, because there have been times when just existing was about all I could do--back when my pain was at its worst--and I'm very mindful and grateful that I've had a reprieve. Which is why, in good times and in bad, I will keep making adjustments again and again, reminding myself over and over: We lose respect for life when we don't contemplate death. By avoiding death, we become corpse-like. It's no good living in denial of the one thing that is certain. The thing about life is that it's fragile and uncertain. You will avoid feeling pressured to agree to something over the phone that you may not remember later. Be sure to discuss the information you are requesting prior to the call.

Like a hard-wired phone, if you tap or press 911 but cannot speak, an ambulance will be summoned automatically if you just stay on the line. Car Travel (Tips 293-296) Hold the doorframe for support to assist you to a standing position, pivot toward the car seat, and sit down sideways. Then, swing one leg at a time into the car. Ask for assistance if necessary. Make sure you are buckled in before traveling in any motor vehicle. It's the law. The North Coast Functional Solutions catalog offers swivel seat cushions like the one pictured. It is appropriate that this is linked to air, a substance that rises. The most important physical function the lungs perform is to exchange carbon dioxide for oxygen, and they do this with a quiet efficiency. When collapsed, the lungs shrink down into a ball the size of a fist, yet if you stretched the surface of the lungs out it would cover a tennis court. The reason such an enormous area can fit into such a small space is that it is incredibly thin. The lungs may be able to be stretched across a tennis court, but it would be 1/200th the thickness of paper: 500 nanometres thick, a nano-film formed by the original nano-technology - life. This nano-film forms the leaves in what is in essence an upside-down tree. The trunk of this tree is our windpipe, the branches are the main bronchi, the twigs are the bronchioles and finally the leaves are the alveoli. The analogy does not end with the physical similarity - they share functional similarity too. Again, nature uses form for function. In the tree the leaves create a huge surface area to enable capture of sunlight and then use it to convert carbon dioxide and water into sugar. And I want to peer through it. Four quadrants: one for each position?

Her `homework' is par for the course. And she always expects me to do it. I am beginning to appreciate that the therapy hour is just the first card in the deck, and I have all week to deal them all. None of the things we touch on are resolved within the session. They are merely activated, and the principle work is in the gaps between sessions. How much I utilise those gaps is as important as what we do in the therapy room. But as always, the loneliness of the intervening week looms upon me, and I don't want to leave. And it occurs to me that I do want to be loved: otherwise, why would I be here, and why would I want to come back? She tells the therapist, My boyfriend just dumped me, and I feel awful. Her therapist asks, Do you feel like hurting yourself? Brianna replies, Gosh no, I'm just upset and want to talk! Aren't you interested in how I'm feeling? You don't understand me very well, do you? Do you even care about me? Brianna has breached boundaries in many ways. She flirts and crosses boundaries at work impulsively. She reveals overly intimate information to her boss. And, of course, she crosses her therapist's boundaries by calling at a late hour and asking for special attention. She reminded me of an Aladdin cartoon I had seen on television. I loved her the most because she looked me in the eyes, and I felt like I merged with her, as her eyes melted into mine.

She was my destiny, I thought. I replayed that moment in my mind for years to come. Soon the pretty ladies with blond hair noticed me, too. I was thrilled beyond what any language could describe. I felt that I was at home and that I belonged there. I wanted to experience this forever. Then the music stopped. The lights went dim. Manipulator: Because I am angry! I am angry! You: But why are you yelling? Manipulator: I'm telling you! I get fucked! You: But why are you yelling? Manipulator: Because. You: But why are you yelling? Manipulator: . Once again, you want to calmly ask this question, with facial expressions that show real curiosity and curiosity, not judgment. This brings us to the third principle of trauma-sensitive mindfulness: keep the body in mind. As mindfulness practitioners, we want to ensure people are working skillfully with the body in mindfulness practice.

This means understanding the risks and rewards of paying close, sustained attention to one's inner world--including practices such as body scans. We also want to create a physical environment that is conducive to the needs of survivors. By doing so, we can help make sure that survivors feel safe, dignified, and in control of their bodies when they're practicing mindfulness. What are you noticing right now? It had felt like my client Gina had drifted away. A quiet, introverted woman in her mid-40s, she often sat with her hands clenched while pressing one thumb into the other. I'm not sure, Gina said, opening her eyes slowly and gazing at a articlecase across the room. I think I went away. My knee was actually injured again in a fall in the French Alps near Courchevel, when I slid almost 1,000ft (300m) on bare ice into the valley. Wanting to appear cool, I'd jumped on my skis with youthful vigor, but slipped about 30ft (10m). That should have been warning enough for me, but no, my ego convinced me to attempt that youthful drive again. I wanted to show off and was reluctant to admit that I wasn't fit enough for such activities. I shot down toward the valley, tried to brake with my right leg, but twisted my knee and continued downhill. The fall only stopped when I accepted everything that was to come. I wanted to get up calmly and signal to my friends up on the mountain that everything was okay. However, I immediately collapsed due to blows to my lungs. Back at the hotel, my right knee turned out to be completely swollen; I asked for 30 minutes to myself and withdrew. Not so with death. Death is universal, predictable, and sturdy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.