Monday 9 November 2020

Focus on What You Control

CATEGORIES OF BEHAVIOR FOR THE MANIPULATION OF EMOTIONS Understanding the dynamics that manipulators use to manipulate us is fundamental if we want to avoid them. Many psychologists work on the analysis of these people and, to date, there are countless studies on it. One of the main features used by the knobs is rewards. Depression: I can't do anything. I can't fight this. I'm too sad to care about life. Acceptance: I'm at peace with who I am. I'm able to see that I am improving. I'm at peace with the future. These stages happen over time, and we will slip back and forth between them. We may stay in one stage longer than another. Eventually, we realize that time changes everyone. Your children are not the same people they used to be: they are growing or grown. We breathe 24 hours a day but it's only occasionally that we stop and actually notice it. And then when we notice it, we can change it. It might speed up again when we're not looking, but as soon as we notice it, we can slow it. So, like in learning to breathe deeply, from the belly, rather than with short, shallow breaths, learning to live in unshame is a constant practice rather than a one-off. It's a new habit that needs to be set in muscle memory, in habit memory. She's smiling at me.

And there it comes again--uprush, thrumming, thud in my tummy: the feeling of shame. That I must have said something wrong, got something wrong. That I've become unacceptable by what I've just uttered. Because I can't prove that I'm right. My brother and I remain close to this day. Our family listened to radio drama as a treat. Our father got us records of famous dramas. While I am not good at remembering titles of things, I have a good spatial and visceral sensory memory. I can memorize articles photographically and can recall specific information that way. That's how I passed my exams in school. I also have a good long-term physical, experiential memory. My Parents Knew I Was Different My mother says she and my father always knew I was different. After I received a diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome and posttraumatic stress disorder at British Columbia Children's Hospital when I was thirty-seven, I asked my mother why she and my father didn't have me assessed when I was younger. Go through this list and pick a coping self-statement or two that you think may help you increase your resolve. Or, make up one or more similar statements that have more meaning for you. Consider recording these statements on your smartphone, in a notearticle, or tablet for easy reference. Make a point at least three or four times each day to practice imagining yourself in a situation that makes you want to be impulsive and that allows you to use one of your coping self-statements. Refer to the Increasing Your Awareness of Impulsive Behavior section earlier in this article to find out what situations trigger your impulsiveness. You can use those triggers in conjunction with the fire drilling technique to better prepare yourself to deal with your impulses.

When you imagine these triggering situations, make sure you also picture yourself using your coping self-statements over and over again. You may wish to use several of them at one time. Let your mind conjure up a scene of success in which you inhibit your impulse with one of your statements. Then tell yourself what a terrific job you did. On this subject, the psychologist who first did the studies was Professor Skinner. He put in a cage two mouses, and inside this cage, he placed two levers. One of these was useless. While the other dropped some food. In a short time, these animals figured out where to press to eat. This concept is used extensively by emotion manipulators. Usually, in the form of a compliment or appreciation towards you or something you have done. But of course, this is not done because he likes you or whatnot. But instead to make you more vulnerable. They do all of this to take your trust and get closer. You are growing too: maturing emotionally and aging physically. Time does help us grow. When will I get better? We go to the hospital for stroke care, and expect the medical community to restore our health. In many cases, this works, as more people survive stroke today than in the past. However, we must reconcile the fact that during a stroke part of the brain dies.

Your physician knows your medical history and is the best person to offer advice. All too often the answer to the question, When will I get better? It may be something like, It depends on your age, your related medical conditions, your stamina, the part of the brain that has been affected by stroke. There is a deeper, more scientific answer. It's just a theory. And maybe it's wrong. Maybe she knows it. And maybe she's smiling at me in a patronising way. Maybe she's going to ridicule me now. I have no idea how she manages to mind-read me like this. I take a breath. Yes, being smiled at can be a trigger sometimes. Non-traumatised people react unconsciously to a smile with a release of oxytocin, the so-called `cuddle hormone', which promotes social bonding. Traumatised people often react instead instinctively, automatically with a rush of cortisol, the stress hormone, as I have just done. She said if I had received a diagnosis by a psychiatrist when I was younger, I may have been institutionalized. She said that because of her educational background and experiences and those of my father, they understood that there are many people who learn and do things differently. She added that both her family and my father's family were somewhat eccentric, anyway. I remember my parents spending much time finding the best schools for me. They always communicated with the principals and teachers. This continued right through to my graduation at the Royal Ballet and even with my employers as I got older.

My parents always seemed to know how to support me. My father and mother knew how I learned best, and they consistently provided the tools I needed to succeed. I Was a Hyperactive, Sound-Sensitive Child I was hyperactive as a child. Repeated practice of such scenes will likely enhance your self-control in the long run. Don't forget to work in tandem with your therapist on this approach. Seeking Healthier Alternatives Risky and impulsive behaviors are often attempts to satisfy a need for excitement. That need, which psychologists call sensation seeking, is partly the result of a genetic predisposition. Some people are born with a strong desire for stimulation and thrills, while others prefer tamer and safer activities. You may have heard the term adrenaline junky to describe a person with this tendency for excitement. People with BPD are much more likely than people without the disorder to exhibit this need for excitement, which is rooted in their genes and biology. So it makes sense that the impulsive behaviors most associated with BPD involve risk and sometimes danger. If you experience this intense need for excitement, you may engage in activities that get you in trouble from time to time. It is hard to be ripped off by a person we don't trust, think about it. We are usually screwed by the very people we trust most. But why does this happen? Because human beings feel comfortable when they trust others, and for this reason, they stop wondering whether they are doing the right thing or not. Consequently, the other person is free to do whatever they want. A second behavior that is also used a lot by people in the Dark Triad is negative reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.