Saturday 25 April 2020

Abandon yourself

Having said that, the demands of the life they chose could cast a shadow over them too. ) My schedule is a little crazy for a sixty-five-year-old man. I want to continue doing what I'm doing, but maybe slow down a bit. (We'll see. If I don't add this goal to my Daily Questions, I probably don't mean it. ) The point is, your Daily Questions should reflect your objectives. They're not meant to be shared in public (unless you're writing a article on the subject), meaning they're not designed to be judged. You're not constructing your list to impress anyone. It's your list, your life. I score my Did I do my best questions on a simple 1 to 10 scale. Slowly, over the course of months of conversations in John's study (with John reflecting me back to myself), I had to face a difficult and all-too-human fact: I did not understand myself at all. I didn't understand my motivations, or many of my behaviors. In many important ways, I was a complete mystery to myself. For example, why on earth was I still in this relationship with David? This is an area John and I went over and over again. I was miserable. David was miserable. Our friends could barely stand the drama. What was the invisible force holding me in it?

I didn't have a clue. In a couple, money decisions need to take into account the other person's thoughts, wishes, and tendencies, which are often in conflict with one's own. We are always at risk of turning what should rightfully be considered internal conflicts about reality's limits into fights with our partners. Willa had difficulty budgeting and denying herself things, yet when Sam told her his opinion that they were overspending, she focused on calling him a downer. Exaggerating my partner's position allows me to fight with him, rather than ask myself the hard questions about what I believe we can afford. I delegate certain attributes to my partner--for example, recasting his reasonable concern as his negative approach to money--while claiming other attributes for myself--I spend as a way to stand up for myself in the face of my partner's control, or to express my sense of adventure in the face of my partner's inertia. When we project onto our partner, we're not developing an integrated perspective within ourselves. People are going to have different opinions about money, but each person ideally comes to the table willing to struggle internally with the difficult trade-offs. Only when I struggle within myself to reconcile my desires with the limits on my resources do I begin to take an honest perspective. How human, if delusional, to try to locate the pain of reality in the failings of a spouse. We adopt this strategy because thinking about reality is hard. For example, Anthony never married and whilst her collaboration with Stanton was for the most part premised on accommodating the responsibilities Stanton had for her family, Anthony did sometimes object:Woman must take to her soul a purpose and then make circumstances conform to this purpose, instead of forever singing the refrain, if and if and if! ', she once argued in an implicit criticism of the compromises that marriage necessitates. But, it was actually the married Stanton whose mature politics did more to challenge their friendship towards the end. Her final speech to the National American Woman Suffrage Association in 1892, entitledThe Solitude of the Self' and often regarded as her masterpiece, was premised on an existential philosophy that implicitly marginalised friendship. In the speech, Stanton laid out an argument which said that women cannot depend on men because ultimately everyone is alone. This made a good case for suffrage because, if true, everyone must be allowed whatever means are available in society to guard themselves against such isolation. Stanton invoked the figure of Robinson Crusoe to demonstrate her case. He was an individual who lived in a world of his own, who was arbiter of his own destiny, and who used every faculty at his disposal to ensure his own safety and happiness. So, Stanton argued, should a woman be.

She deployed the figure of Crusoe's companion, Friday, in her analogy; You can use whatever works for you. Your only considerations should be: Are these items important in my life? Will success on these items help me become the person that I want to be? Active questions are not a distinction without a difference. Professional pollsters have always known that how questions are posed to interview subjects significantly influences the polling results. (For example, there's a difference between asking if I agree or disagree with the statement, The best way to ensure peace is through military strength and asking me to choose between The best way to ensure peace is through military strength and Diplomacy is the best way to ensure peace. The military option is far less popular when people are also given the diplomacy option. ) That's what makes active questions a magic move. But I couldn't leave. Nor could David. (This, of course, is powerful evidence for Fairbairn's correction of Freud. Remember it? We are primarily object seeking, not pleasure seeking! ) And that was only the beginning: There was at that time also the question of my unresolved--and seemingly unresolvable--grief crisis, allegedly over the death of Uncle Bill. It slowly became clear to me that my body and mind were troubled with a grief I did not understand. It felt strangely as if the grief was not only about Uncle Bill, but about something else as well.

Something much, much bigger. In reality, we rarely get to have our cake and eat it too. In reality, awful things sometimes happen. Apart from the hideous crises and losses, the usual problems of life--about children, money, jobs, houses--are difficult and frustrating to talk about and often hard to solve. It takes effort to remain self-aware and self-controlled enough to continue to think together about the problems. It takes effort to resist the temptation to cast our partner as our obstacle, and instead to face that life itself presents obstacles, and that remaining in conversation with our partner is sometimes our best hope of meeting them. Willa and Sam demonstrated, no more dramatically than many other couples, the ways money can become an antigrowth black hole in the rough patch. Anxious to give their children the best possible start, concerned with career success and security, wanting to fit in with their community, couples confront real economic challenges and a raft of anxieties. The difference between deadlock and collaboration has everything to do with how people manage these anxieties, and whether they face them constructively. My work with Sam and Willa lasted several months. Bit by bit, we managed to turn the volume down on the blame and criticism and create a safer atmosphere for exploration. every woman would have her own woman, a Friday, she said. But what at first reads like an invocation of the early days of her friendship with Anthony turned out to distance them from each other, because she concluded that whilst a Friday brought benefits, ultimately no one could rely on anyone apart from themselves. The implication was that even Anthony had left her alone at certain moments: In youth our most bitter disappointments, our brightest hopes and ambitions, are known only to ourselves. Even our friendship and our love we never fully share with another . Alone a woman goes to the gates of death to give life to every man that is born into the world; no one can share her fears, no one can mitigate her pangs; and if her sorrow is greater than she can bear, alone she passes beyond the gates into the vast unknown . how few the burdens that one soul can bear for another! So how is it that friendship itself comes to be thought of as an act of rebellion, as opposed to just providing support for certain kinds of protest or, going further back to the times of Walker and Lister, merely being an act of personal resistance?

It stems in large part from the critique of society that feminists have put forward: friendship is seen as an embodiment of that critique. Injecting the phrase Did I do my best to. triggers trying. Trying not only changes our behavior but how we interpret and react to that behavior. Trying is more than a semantic tweak to our standard list of goals. It delivers some unexpected emotional wallops that inspire change or knock us out of the game completely. Imagine the Daily Questions you'd want on your behavioral change list. If you're like most people, the objectives would fall into a predictable set of broad categories: health, family, relationships, money, enlightenment, and discipline. There would be a goal or two about intimate personal relationships (being nicer to your partner, more patient with your kids); a couple of diet and fitness goals (reduce sugar consumption, sign up for yoga, floss daily); and a time management goal (get to bed before midnight, limit TV watching to three hours a day). But what? I cannot exaggerate how unsettling it was to grasp, even for a moment, the depth of my confusion. My own rendition of my life is a fantasy? Really? I cannot trust my own mind to get even the basic facts right? The entire history of twentieth-century depth psychotherapy is, of course, based precisely on this discovery--the discovery that there is, indeed, a self behind the self. And that we have an epic capacity to avoid even the most obvious truth of things. We cannot see what is right in front of our faces. Indeed, it is not only twentieth-century psychology that made this discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.