Saturday 22 August 2020

You have to look for happiness, within yourself

It's fine to shower, but do so consciously. Maybe focus on your body and pay special attention to each part as you're washing it--that becomes a conscious ritual. Baths are great if you need some downtime. You can run the bath, drop in some salts and oils, light some candles, and get prepped for some you time. This way you can take a quick shower to rinse off the outside world and then melt into your bath and give it the time you'd like. When I say grit, I don't just mean old-fashioned mental toughness--in some athletic circles, that's what grit means, said Duckworth in a forum presentation alongside Carroll. It's not just that. When I talk about grit, I really mean this combination of perseverance and passion for what you're doing over the long term. It's not just being mentally tough in the moment, it's all the other moments, it's all the practice that goes into being truly world-class in what you do. It's actually being kind of preoccupied by what you do. When I look at individuals who have grit, it is invariably a characteristic that I find in high achievers in every domain that I've studied. Since that video introduction of grit to the world, Duckworth has expanded her research and written a article on the subject: Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance. While other factors are necessary for athletic success, Duckworth feels that grit is essential. Talent and luck matter to success. But talent and luck are no guarantee of grit. Exercise Is a Must Another component of a well-thought-out, successful weight-loss program is exercise. Truth to tell, even if someone didn't change their diet one iota, if that individual increased the amount of time spent exercising, he or she would certainly lose weight. You may hate gyms. Fine, avoid them.

Exercise can be done at home or by doing a light exercise outside, such as a short 40-minute power walk. Each time you do that exercise, you burn calories and fat. I was not saying avoid gyms by my earlier remark. I was saying follow your preference. There are lots of pleasant ways to increase the amount of activity you do. No wonder you are overweight if you eat that when in a restaurant with friends. I felt very self-conscious with friends and food. If there was a buffet I would have a battle in my head between what I thought I should choose and what I really wanted to choose. There wasn't much pleasure in food. When I gave in and bought a large packet of crisps, or a pork pie, I would eat them in the car on the way home and put the empty packet in the outside bin so that it didn't count. I felt so guilty about what I'd done that I just carried on eating when I got home because I had ruined that day's diet. I was so hard on myself. My relationship with food is now more relaxed. I enjoy food because I am tasting it, not gobbling it down with guilty feelings, and I have discovered that some of the food I used to categorise as naughty and so craved, like pork pies, I am not so keen on because it now tastes different. Eating in a restaurant is much more about the social aspect, and I find choosing what I fancy easier. A big reason: We don't navigate transitions in the way that most people expect. Learning to Dance in the Rain A New Model for Life Transitions Let's go back for a second to our original definition of a lifequake: a forceful burst of change that leads to a period of upheaval, transition, and renewal. We've talked about the first of those issues--what causes the burst of change and what happens in the wake of the upheaval.

But what about the last two points--namely, the transition and renewal? How do those happen? The short answer: by choice. The person going through the experience has to choose to convert the change and upheaval into transition and renewal. The initial jolt can be voluntary or involuntary, but the transition must be voluntary. Therefore the formal register is natural for them as they have a rich, diverse vocabulary. The upper/professional-class individuals' comfortablity with prescribed grammar allows them to engage in discourse with a confident and direct manner of speech. Elizabeth continued. Those of the lower/working-class tend to speak in register of an informal setting, which incorporates slang, contractions such as ain't, or simply a more casual grammatical structure like you would use with close friends or family members. Interesting, I responded, though in my mind I was insulted. I was well-spoken Lower/working-class individuals also tend to share their personal life quite freely as a way in which to connect or empathize with others. It is a manner of speech that promotes social bonding. Conversely upper/professional-class individuals value their autonomy and therefore you will also find that they are quite private with their personal information, instead they shift the conversation to business matters at hand or polite discourse. This is most apparent when you are simply colleagues. Step 7: Dhyana or Meditation This step is an extension of Dharana. From Dharana, there is a fall into the true reality - this is yogic meditation. The few traces of the mind that remain are collections of thoughts, imaginations and memories that have all been already stored. The external environment has been completely switched off and now all that remains is what is inside your brain.

If these final traces of the mind are switched off too, the mind ceases to exist. This is a state of no-mind, and this is yogic meditation. The finite is within the mind, but in meditation, the infinite is no-mind. Step 8: Samadhi Samadhi is the homecoming. Nevertheless in the course of the development of the Buddhist system of thought, this came more and more to be an unequivocal denial of the existence of a self. For Buddha and Buddhists, then, the question of whether there was a single self was mired in pitfalls and best avoided. The key point was to not end up believing in the reality of one's own single self, as doing so brought attachment and therefore, inevitably, suffering. Complementing Buddhism's general focus on radical interdependence and the nonself doctrine, certain Tibetan Buddhist cultural rituals also reflect a worldview not bound by the Single Self Assumption. For example, in a video featuring the Dalai Lama and a Tibetan Buddhist official who goes into deep trance and prophesizes about the future, the narrator tell us this: Maybe this is the crux of the question of self that is raised by trance possession. If nothing exists with absolute independence, if things are only interdependent, then the whole notion of self changes from some fixed idea into something that is open and elastic, something that ultimately may be only provisional. NEUROSCIENCE AND BUDDHISM According to Adam Gopnik, staff writer for The New Yorker: Instead of there being a single, consistent Cartesian self that monitors the world and makes decisions, we live in a kind of nineties-era Liberia of the mind, populated by warring independent armies implanted by evolution, representing themselves as a unified nation but unable to reconcile their differences, and, as one after another wins a brief battle for the capital, providing only the temporary illusion of control and decision. Within two sessions Sonia is refusing to tell me what she and her psychiatrist speak about: `That's between us. We're supposed to share everything. Instantly I am jealous of both. I wonder if Olly prefers Sonia to me. I wonder if Sonia prefers Dr Samuels to me.

But it's much more than jealousy, I rationalise. It is clinically important that Oliver and I share information, have an ex cathedra discussion about the health and prognosis of his new patient, my future wife: for her sake, for mine, for ours. So when I bump into him on the Stroke Ward, and again in Electrophysiology, and for a third time on `Salad Island' next to Bariatrics, I see it as professionally necessary to mention something about Sonia's symptoms. What I'm worried about - and I've seen this in numerous patients of a particular character structure (the distancing jargon of authority coming so effortlessly) - is a propensity for mindless exaggeration, sometimes fabrications that are chillingly wild, and likely, I believe, to have their basis in a potentially malignant narcissistic aggression . For instance, I knew instantly that she didn't approve of a pair of flamboyantly striped socks Cordelia bought for me as a present. Stay as long as you'd like and savor the experience. When finished, you can then get a quick rinse and be done with it. If you were to take a couple of long baths per week, how would that affect the amount of time you stand around in the shower? The real question is, what do you actually need to feel whole? It isn't the shower that's giving it to you. The shower is the excuse. Where can you find and allocate the time you'd like to feel whole? Take it and savor it. You'll find that this will affect the time lag you apply to many other activities throughout your day in a profound way. When you look at the rings of a tree, there's a lot of information to decode. And in the very long run, I think grit may matter at least as much, if not more. To take grit from being a fuzzy, feel-good concept to a comparative data point, Duckworth created the Grit Scale,18 currently a ten-question survey available to anyone, which calculates a baseline score from 1 to 5. Of course, with test statements like I am diligent, I never give up and I finish whatever I begin, the scale is easy to game and requires honest introspection. With a grit score in hand, the real question for developing playmakers is whether it can be grown over time. If you score a 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.