Monday 25 May 2020

I'm going to rip up my membership to the gym and donate my running shoes

If you have a door and an office, you may be able to shut your door during certain hours so you can focus on work. If you work in an open floor plan or in a cubicle, it may take a bit more creative planning to create a distraction-free environment. Consider the following steps to improve your productivity at work. How much of your lost productivity is your own fault? If you are distracted by your mobile device, put it away or turn it off so it doesn't tempt you. Consider that each time you respond to a quick text, you take time away from important projects at work. If you're too tuned into your personal life (for example, checking Facearticle all day long or reviewing personal email), you'll lose important time you should have to get ahead with your work. Three hundred. How many have been successful? Three hundred. Are you saying your success rate is 100 percent? That's exactly what I'm saying. How is that possible? I choose my patients very carefully. It wasn't that he was concerned about maintaining a perfect box score. He was simply not about to inflict a procedure on me that would likely kill me. Dr Khaled performed the complex process of harvesting nearly five million healthy stem cells from my bloodstream. I also have a map of the world and circle places I want to visit. If you haven't travelled alone before and wonder what the experience will be like, why not first spend a weekend in another town or city not too far away?

Then work up to your fantasy jaunts. Mine include a road trip visiting vintage fairs across the USA, a month living on the French island of Noirmoutier, and a round-the-world trip visiting friends, wherever they may be. Or Italy might seduce me once again. (If countries had a Tinder profile, I'd swipe right for Italy in a flash. ) I like to stretch the holiday vibe as long as possible (pre and post) and enjoy an extensive and meticulous research phase. I love comparing different countries, cities, travel and accommodation options, tourist attractions, restaurants, markets, shopping opportunities and so on. There is nothing I enjoy more than an afternoon of cross-referencing TripAdvisor with blogs and other travel articles, weeding out the paid reviewers and assessing any response to a negative review. This was a start. I had to be able to cope before I could heal. Over the next few months, I experimented with becoming a neutral observer of my panic. Instead of identifying with it and believing my internal, freaked-out voice, I'd witness it. I had no idea I'd revisit this practice on a much larger scale in the future, when the stakes would be considerably higher. Dr Liebgold suggested calling my fearful voice my boo voice. But don't let it scare you, he said. I began cultivating awareness around that voice. When it showed up, I listened to what it said but resisted the urge to identify with it or believe it. Sometimes this worked. Your best defense against colds, flus, and allergies is to build a strong immune system. The immune system is composed of a complex network of organs containing cells that recognize foreign substances in the body and try to destroy them.

It protects the body from invaders such as germs, viruses, and bacteria. When functioning optimally, the immune system can ward off illness and disease. The strength of your immune system is determined by whether you get enough of the right exercise, what kinds of foods you eat, how well you manage stress, and how much you rely on sugar as an energy source. Now that you that know burning fat is the key to effortless endurance, how can you train your body to burn more fat? Simple--just figure out when you're burning fat and design a training program based upon heart-rate monitoring that will take you there more often. Before I tell you how to put together a heart-rate monitoring training program, I will share with you how I got involved with this technology in the first place. My original infatuation with heart-rate monitors and target-zone strategies stemmed from a desire to understand what was happening to me as I trained. I wanted more than to simply go out every day and do whatever I felt like. If turning off your phone all day long makes you feel too disconnected, at least turn off notifications that aren't likely to be emergencies. Set your phone to only buzz if your child's school calls, for example. Or, designate break times during the day to check your messages, in case something is important. Do not allow your personal device to take you away from your work. Do you spend a lot of time Googling topics or looking for information unrelated to work? That's a bad idea for many reasons, but most importantly, your IT department may be tracking your work online. If it turns out you spend hours each week (or each day) on non-work related tasks on your work computer, you may find yourself out of a job. Especially if you work in an open floor plan, it is very difficult to avoid interruptions. It was not painful, but it was tedious. Dr Khaled's team placed the harvested stem cells in cold storage, then they hit me with two massive blasts of chemo to destroy the remaining cancer cells in my blood marrow.

Then they infused the healthy stem cells back into my body, where they multiplied and produced new blood cells. At the end of the scariest year of my life, God gave me a miracle. My numbers came down. I was in remission at last. I now celebrate three birthdays every year--my physical birthday on May 3, 1940; my spiritual birthday when I committed my life to God on February 22, 1968; and my cancer remission birthday, February 10, 2012. Nearly five years after telling Dr Reynolds that my daily theme would be The Mission Is Remission, I can safely say, Mission accomplished. The occasional bad review does not deter me, but an overly defensive or poorly judged reply from hotel management can. In a couple of cases I have contacted a manager and got a great deal from them directly. `The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off. ' To set the scene I google `insider tips' or `local tips' for my destination, read articles and watch movies set there and learn a sprinkling of the language - even a few words can make a huge difference to the welcome you receive. I've been upgraded to nicer rooms, been told about hidden restaurants only known to locals, and even been invited to people's homes because I've fumbled my way through a few sentences with my dodgy accent. Have a look at busuu. com, duolingo. Many times it did not. Sometimes I'd say, Stop!

out loud and then take a few conscious, calming breaths. During this time, I noticed there was something familiar, and possibly ancient, about my fear. I sensed that I'd carried it with me long before 9/11. I'd been taught fear. I'd inherited it. Part of me wanted to cling to it because it was what I knew. If I released my fear, what would remain? I worried I'd be empty. Early on I had no plan other than to run as much and for as long as I could. On certain days I'd run harder than on others--when I felt like it. On other days I'd take it easy, if that was all I wanted to do. Yet too many times I wondered if I was wasting my time. Was I getting anywhere? I fell into the trap of measuring and assessing my progress in terms of how well I performed each and every day. That became a painful and disconcerting path, turning into a cycle of trying to outdo myself each time I went out, either for training runs or competitive events. I wanted to enjoy running and feel as though I was benefiting physically, emotionally, and intellectually. Later on, as a coach, I wanted to draw from the experiences I had to make my life and the lives of others better. I wanted it all, enjoyment of the process and a sense of what Tony Robbins likes to call Constant and Never-Ending Improvement (CANI). However, if you have too much engagement with colleagues, you may be losing valuable work hours every day. How can you plan to save time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.