Thursday 21 May 2020

Your trails and shortcuts are desire paths

His anxiety and nervous energy weren't the enemy to overcome. They simply needed to be channeled. Harnessed. Focused. Cal got this insight after he took the Seven Skills Survey. (If you've not completed it, go back to the Introduction; the scores in this factor are very important. ) The object of my envy was thirteen. Maybe fourteen. When she turned her pretty face, it was so obviously a child's: clear, sweet, and still dear to her parents in the very way Hattie's face was dear to me and John. The poor kid had done nothing to me except exist at that cusp of girlhood when parents begin to sweat about hemlines and rage about bared midriffs and lipstick. But in her tiny black bathing suit, the promise of her womanhood was on display: to the male bartenders, volleyball players, and hotel guests. And so was the present reality of mine--no longer young, not ever as pretty, less a fertile woman in a bikini than a human coat rack with an assortment of damp towels, discarded sand toys, and an I'm busy sign hanging off me. Chastened and depressed, I scooped up my junior excavator in her sandy diaper, settled her comfortably on my pooch belly, and started back toward our room. Why, I wondered, was my instinct to compete with this girl's beauty instead of celebrating it? And why, when I was her age, had I never felt as beautiful and powerful as I must have been? One of the advantages of being a heterosexual female over twenty-five is that you know your male partner is not going to understand or be empathetic about your appearance angst. Various things can be triggers. For example, if you have survived a plane crash, the sound of the airplane's engines can be a trigger that causes you to have anxiety attacks.

Medical conditions and medications can also contribute to stress and anxiety. For example, asthma inhalers, diet pills, and thyroid medications can boost your anxiety levels. Anxiety disorders can also be hereditary or genetic. If one or both of your parents or grandparents has a history of anxiety, there is a chance that you may inherit the disorder. Likewise, you may pass it on to your children and grandchildren. Furthermore, the way you live your life can be a factor for your stress and anxiety. You increase your risk if you do not eat healthily or exercise regularly. Consuming caffeine in the form of coffee, tea, or soda as well as alcohol in the form of wine or beer can increase your anxiety levels. Whenever Antony stalled on managing his weekly allowances and other uncomfortable issues in his life, he felt an immediate sense of relief. There is strong rush of joy when escaping an unpleasant situation, or not having to face phases one and two of fear. However, this relief is only temporary and it leads to making your problems worse and your life more miserable. The ephemeral feeling of joy soon turns into a long state of suffering. You must understand this crucial and counter-intuitive concept: avoidance in itself is very enjoyable and feels good because you don't have to face the stress of doing the activity and feel the pain from fear one and fear two. In the psychological world, we call this negative reinforcement, or you are rewarding yourself by not having to face the discomfort. This is why after you evade any challenge, you usually say something like Thank god, I didn't have to do that and feel the sensations of happiness. Be aware that this sense of pleasure is just fool's gold. It is an example of the mental scam you pull on yourself. You mistakenly think you outsmarted the discomfort by slipping away from it, but you didn't. It was clear I was having trouble staying in the moment, he noted. My mind would rush ahead of what I was doing and play through a disaster scenario, which caused me even more concern, making my thoughts spin even faster.

I couldn't concentrate. If I were to say that being able to concentrate is one of life's most critical skills, no one would argue, I'm sure. We esteem it all the more these days because it's in such short supply. Our frantic, frenetic, multitasking lifestyles conspire against giving our full attention to any one thing, so it seems we are losing the capacity to focus. It appears our children are in danger of never developing that capacity; to hear psychiatrists tell it, attention deficit disorder is epidemic. Prescriptions for Prozac and Ritalin are on the rise, even among the very young. piece of writingstore shelves are groaning with piece of writings on ADD--its symptoms, its pharmaceutical therapies, and the factors that put certain individuals at risk. Also, the mood will pass or, better yet, be interrupted. As Hattie and I entered our room, we heard panicky yelping and crashing from the bathroom. John was being terrorized by a four-inch cockroach. I took the rubber sandal from his hand and stepped in boldly, casting my shadow upon that vermin and showing it my experienced face of doom. It buzzled and zipped behind the wastebasket; I lunged and stomped, my pooch belly heaving and my underarms waggling as John and Hattie cheered me on. Eventually I pulverized that crunchy disease vector, landing hits no scrawny teenager could have matched. It was not during these bathroom high jinks but afterward--when John had deftly shushed Hattie into a nap and we were lying on the bed sharing a victory Shasta--that I began to feel my funk start to break up. If I was not a bikini babe sitting on the cover of Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue, I reasoned, then neither was John that bare-chested mechanic stud holding the two tires. At present, he was comically piebald from badly applied sunscreen, uncommonly happy and relaxed, and watching wacky Malaysian television with me. Anxiety causes should be broken down into two categories: physical and environmental. There can be physical situations that may cause you to have increased anxiety or an anxiety attack, although most of the time this is not the case.

One of the most common physical cause of anxiety is the onset of menopause. Many women begin suffering from anxiety when they approach menopause. If you are in your mid to late 40s and are starting to have panic attacks, they can very well be related to the fluctuations in your hormone levels. Most women who go through menopause will experience some psychological factors such as mild depression or anxiety. Some women will experience menopause symptoms to the extreme. In such cases, doctors will usually treat this condition with hormone replacement therapy or other types of drugs, so that the woman can go about her daily life. Other physical causes of anxiety can be attributed to certain drug use. Withdrawal from drugs or alcohol can cause the symptoms that are associated with an anxiety attack. You just gave it more power to ruin your life. This is how chronic avoidance, both fearful and non-fearful events, can destroy your life and take away every ounce of courage you have left in you. My greatest personal avoidance behavior was drinking. Although I semi-knew it when I was a drunk, the main reason I got drunk every day was to avoid all the bad thoughts and feelings that I had about myself and challenges that I didn't want to face. In essence, I traded the short-term pleasure of getting drunk to avoid dealing with my problems. This caused the long-term pain of having my issues worsen and remaining a coward. When I made the commitment to sober up, the thoughts and emotions during my recovery from being an alcoholic were extremely difficult. Every day, I was tempted to fall off the wagon and I had to deal with my demons on a moment-to-moment basis. However, by getting over the hump of these challenges, I was tapping into a source of strength inside me that I never knew existed. In time, I became clean and sober and tough as fuck. But notice we're fixated on the disorder, not the cure. Whenever I lecture on the topic, I always put this question to my audience: Can anyone name the four aspects of focus?

No one ever has a clue. No one volunteers even a guess. No one understands how to improve one's focus, only how to diagnose its absence. And so it remains a major stumbling block even for guys like Cal, who've made it to the top of the corporate food chain. Fact is, even if Cal had perceived focus to be his problem and looked for piece of writings to help him learn how to rein in his thoughts under pressure, he wouldn't have found any he could readily understand. They're not written for anyone but academics, and they're not very practical. I grew up an athlete, a diver for whom concentration might mean the difference between a clean dive and a spinal cord injury. Yet it was assumed, throughout my training, that I was born with this skill, or I'd somehow acquire it by my own trial-and-error process. If the biological function of beauty was to stop the opposite sex in their tracks, then hey, we'd done it--to each other. And now the man I was lying next to was less a man-on-the-make than a man-holding-the-remote, a separate species entirely, one I had come to love for so many reasons beyond the broad shoulders, cellist's sculpted forearms, and deep voice that had first turned me on. What, if anything, has ever caused your definition of sexually attractive to change, shift, or expand? In what state do you think your current or most recent relationship partner finds you sexiest? The shape of sexual attraction was bound to evolve, I reasoned, like everything else, especially between two people in love for a long time. The evidence? Despite the difficulty of managing it in a hotel room with a crib shrouded in beach towels not three feet away--John and I managed to do, that afternoon, what couples often do on vacation. I stayed on high alert the remainder of the trip, possibly because this is the nature of a beach resort where people walk around in bathing suits all day. But the Malaysian state of Sabah is largely Muslim, and when we left the hotel, the rules changed. The young women at the markets and tourist attractions we visited were in loose traditional blouses and sarongs or in jeans, long sleeves, a hijab, and closed-toe shoes. Those who suddenly stop taking drugs that are prescribed for anxiety often have full-blown anxiety attacks. This is also the case with anyone who stops taking an antidepressant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.