Wednesday 28 October 2020

Understanding Negativity Bias

Does this mean you are actively being watched and your email monitored? The answer is to assume that you are and that it is. Always use email in strict accordance with these assumptions:* Do not use the company's email system to send personal messages. Be aware that merely deleting copies of email you send or receive does not permanently remove this material from your computer's hard disk. The position of your shoulder matters. To get in the optimal sleeping position, place a small, flat pillow underneath your armpit while keeping your elbow at a 90-degree angle. If you start your night on your back, I also recommend placing a rolled up dish towel or an additional small pillow underneath your upper arm. These two things help create more comfort for your shoulder, allowing you to improve the quality of your sleep. Your sleep setup should look something like the photo below. Another mistake I see frequently is lifting everyday objects when your arm is in an outstretched position, what I call No Man's Land. I commonly have patients come see me after reaching into the back seat of the car to grab something or lifting a heavy grocery bag from deep inside the trunk, causing a jolt of pain to the shoulder. The reason this is harmful for your shoulder is because it puts extra force on your rotator cuff muscles, which aren't designed to lift that much weight when your arm is outstretched from your body. Whenever you reach out to grab something, the shoulder is in a position where it has minimal stability and strength, a perfect recipe for an injury. The following photo is lifting in No Man's Land. While this isn't good for anyone, it's even more problematic for those of us with acne-prone skin. Still, we really need to eat lean, high-quality protein. The key is to look for grass-fed beef, free-range chicken or turkey, and wild-caught fish because they're lower in saturated and total fat and have more of the beneficial omega-3 fatty acids that we've come to associate with good skin. If you can't find these in your local grocery store, search out producers and ranchers who offer their high-quality meats on the Internet. I promise you will taste the difference. Look for organic eggs reinforced with DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which is a beneficial omega-3 fatty acid.

Keep in mind that yogurt provides not only protein but calcium and beneficial bacteria. However, be sure to look for organic brands that are free of additives and hormones; Beans are also a good source of protein and fiber and can be added to soups, stews, and salads. HIGH-QUALITY, UNSATURATED FATS You can have all the trauma in the world, and you can survive. I know this because you tell me. I know this because I've seen it with my eyes and I have felt it in my heart space and I have heard it with my own two ears. There is nothing that we cannot survive when something ends. Part of the fear of surviving is when it's not up to you. When someone or the universe takes something from you. I find peace in the phrase It wasn't yours to begin with. We get things to borrow, sometimes for a long time, sometimes for a short time. My partner is in my sphere for now, so I do my best to take great care of this partnership. Because it deserves that right now, and because I don't get to choose how long its current state is a part of my truth. You're making a promise to yourself, and you're going to have to live with yourself for a good long time, so please treat yourself with at least the respect you show other people and be true to your word. If you make a commitment to yourself, keep it. If you decide you're not ever going to do an item--congratulations! You have just completed an undone. Cross it off your list! If you're having trouble deciding and you are simply not willing to make a decision right now (don't say can't make a decision!

You can either write --decision after the original item or add a new entry at the bottom of the list. But it's not going to go away. For the items you're committed to do, write --committed after each item. You're not done with this step until every item on your list is either crossed out or has --committed written after it. Landing the Queen's Park job hadn't been a straight road, pothole-free. Early on, when I wasn't long out of Ryerson and still just a part-time news writer at Channel 11 on the weekends, I worked in retail to pay the bills. I had a sales job in a clothing shop in a mall, a Tristan & America store, the same gig I'd held down to help put myself through school. What I wanted more than anything, though, was to be a reporter. When I had the chance amid those two jobs I was juggling, I kept my eyes open. I looked for opportunities. Job postings. Internships. Calls for applications. I even sent in applications when there was no job posting. This dude even has multiple pairs of his favorite underwear and socks, all in black. His outfit possibilities are blissfully limited, and I'm so into it. Understandably, deciding once to such an extreme feels intense. But it's also beautiful. This guy decided what he likes to wear and wears it every day. The mental energy needed to get dressed each morning is nonexistent.

This one decision even spills over into how he does laundry, how and where he stores his clothes, how he packs for a trip, and how he adjusts his clothes based on the weather. You don't have to wear the same thing every day to see the benefits of how one fixed decision can lead to more. Take getting dressed for a wedding. What if you chose two dresses to wear, one for warm weather and one for cold? Trying to do this for just a part of a walk or workout can change the experience from one that you feel like you need to check out of to one that allows you to check in and be present. Exercise 5: Cultivating Awareness (An Alternative to Meditation) I often hear that people can't or don't like to meditate. I will often suggest that they try doing this exercise instead. Look back on the day and think about something that surprised you and write it down, reflecting on why it was surprising. Then look back on your day and consider one thing that inspired you. Write it down and describe why. And last, think of one thing that touched you. Write it down and describe why. I actually assumed that the mass exodus of blood was the final salute from my ovaries. Unfortunately, that was not the case, and I continued to have very light periods every seven months for a couple of years. My best advice is to be prepared for the unexpected. Carry sanitary products with you permanently. I took to using a menstrual cup, which is a small plastic cup you insert in your vagina during periods; Take to wearing a daily sanitary pad, darker clothes, or underwear that's purposely made for periods, like Thinx, which absorbs bleeding into the fabric.

HORMONES AND SMELLS There are some days when I really smell bad. Yes, I stink! I really do. The same is true of your bedroom. This should be for sleep and for sex, nothing else. If you have a TV in the bedroom, or you take your cell phone to bed with you, the temptation will be to use them, and that can be highly disruptive. There's a widespread myth that light coming from your computer or cell phone (blue light) is bad for you because it switches off production of the sleep hormone melatonin. In reality, light levels produced by these devices are too low to do much damage and the real reason they are disruptive is because they are exciting your brain just when you want it to be nice and relaxed. I always put my cell phone on sleep mode and try to avoid looking at it in the hour leading up to bedtime. Anyone who has kids will know just how disruptive social media can be. We had regular battles with our kids about not having laptops and cell phones in the bedroom when they were teenagers, but we felt it was a fight we had to win. Which we did. Sleep deprivation is spectacularly bad for teen brains, and the whole point of social media is that it has been designed by evil geniuses with the sole purpose of keeping you hooked. Your feet are beginning to get used to the chill of the stone. A gentle breeze blows against your face; You hear the sound again; Focus on the sound to decide precisely the path you should take. Often times, we are forced to rely on our senses to tell us what to do. Focusing on the present moment means opening yourself up to receiving information from all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.