Thursday 29 October 2020

I hope for trans women of color to stop getting murdered

What's in there? Here is a list of coping techniques that can help you recover from a bipolar episode: Talk to a supportive person Get a full eight hours of sleep Cut back on your activities Attend a support group Meet with your psychiatrist or therapist Do something fun or creative, or write in your journal Take time for yourself to relax and unwind Increase your exposure to light Eat healthy foods We've made it extra easy for you to just do it. Just use your major credit card. Once you come into the club, you can put together your own health program, or you can talk with one of our fitness counselors. And remember: There is no risk. Try us for fourteen days. If you don't like us, your money will be refunded--on the spot. Focusing the Prospect's Needs The great Chicago master of nineteenth-century retailing Marshall Field put his selling philosophy into a single phrase: Give the lady what she wants. That is a fine philosophy--provided the lady, or the man, knows what she or he wants.

In many selling situations, however, neither fulfillment of a clearly stated want nor assuaging of a need is called for. What's going on in there? How can I go all the way in and look so closely, but know that the gift I will give myself on the other side is the radical acceptance of joy in my life? And when I do experience joy, I will practice not running from it. I will stay curious to how it came up, curious as to why I want to run from it, and I will stay in healthy conversation with this joy. And remember that when I feel joy, it ripples out to others--oftentimes others who need it more than me. Vulnerability In the public sphere, vulnerability comes easy to me. Or perceived vulnerability and braveness. More often than not, people thank me or reach out to me in gratitude for the way I so publicly share my life. But the barometers of vulnerability are different for everyone. Either increase or decrease the stimulation in your environment Cut back on sugar Avoid alcohol and drugs Take adequate breaks of relaxation Take a nature walk Spend time with your loved ones Take a bath or a nap (Sheehan, 2008) Accept You Have a Biological Illness and Forgive Yourself It makes a big difference if you accept the fact that your bipolar illness is caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain (Bressert, 2020).

When you accept you have an actual disease, you can begin to forgive yourself for the bad things that happened during your episode There is no use in worrying over past events that can't be changed, so don't cry over spilt milk. In many situations, selling is a process of education and discovery. It is up to the salesperson to help--yes, help--the customer focus his needs. Salespeople of the old school--and salespeople who do not respect their product--discourage customer questions. They believe the salesperson should remain in control, that questions bring on thought, and thought brings on doubt, and doubt halts the momentum that makes a sale. All of this is true--if you see the sales process as essentially cheating the customer out of his money. If, however, you see sales as trading value for value, and furthermore, if you regard your objective as not merely making a single sale, but creating a customer--a source of repeat business and word-of-mouth advertising--then you will make an effort to elicit questions from the customer. TIP: A question is an investment on the part of the prospect. It takes initiative, positive action, and effort to ask a question. The prospect who asks questions has, in effect, made a down payment on the merchandise you offer. The process of focusing needs typically begins when you pick up the phone and the caller tells you that she's looking for some information on the style and prices of widgets you carry. For me, bringing my car to the mechanic and admitting I have no idea what's going on is vulnerable. Sitting with my partner and looking her in the eyes and telling her my fears is vulnerable. Grocery shopping and not knowing what exactly goes together and feeling like I don't know how to assemble a damn meal is vulnerable. Don't get me wrong: sometimes when I share certain things publicly it is extremely vulnerable, but I would say probably only 10 percent of the time. The other 90 percent, I am performing; I am taking what I have researched and my lived experience and synthesizing it into a presentation for public consumption. Now, before you decide that I've been faking vulnerability, let me assure you, the behind-the-scenes labor is where the vulnerability lies. The output has been part of my life's work since I was five years old and first realized I loved to jump on the couch and do a dance and have everyone watch. The witnesses were joyful, happy.

So for twenty-seven years I've been living that way, to see how when I take my own joy and pain and wonder and awe and swirl it into words and movement--it is how I know how to be in my body and in my life. Focus your energy fully on recovery. Take Care of Business Talking with creditors, teachers or professors at school, or people you may have hurt emotionally or physically is never easy, but I can say from personal experience that life can be even better than it was before if you face the rebuilding process head-on, no matter how much it might hurt. Set Goals for Yourself Identifying life goals is the essential heart of the recovery process. When we identify and envision a future for ourselves, we begin to become motivated to do all we can to reach those goals. Your goals can be big or small, depending on where you are in your recovery journey. Remember to break your goals into small steps at first. Ask yourself what you can do now that will help you accomplish your goal. Not only will this help move you closer to your goal, but it will also give you a positive feeling of accomplishment. I just want to get information, she warns, in an almost scolding tone, as if to put you on notice that she has no intention to make a purchase at this time. Now, you may take this implied warning at face value. Or you may give it a little thought. While there are people who window shop on the phone, filling a few empty moments with idle requests for information, it is more probable that the caller asking for information is really doing two things:1. Calling for help The best way to handle the call is to offer:1. If the caller's question is sufficiently specific, reply: I can help you with that. If it is vague, ask questions to bring the caller's questions into clearer focus. Better yet, let's establish a Step 1 for focusing needs:

STEP 1: When you pick up the phone, greet the caller, state your name, the company's name, and then ask: How may I help you? But the vulnerable parts are what you don't see, are sometimes what I don't show anyone. For some of you, sharing publicly may be EXTREMELY vulnerable. Terrifying. The last thing you'd ever want to do. There are a few parts to this: That's okay. It might mean you are not ready. You may need more time to understand your own experience or another's. You might not be fully ready to say out loud what is boiling inside of you. If this is the case, we don't need to attach a single ounce of shame or guilt to this. When you are setting your goals ask yourself the following questions: What motivates me? What interests me? What would I do more of if I could? What do I want? What do I care about, or what did I care about before my illness or episode? Where do I want my life to go? What brings me joy? What are my hopes and dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.