Tuesday 20 October 2020

Moving towards a positive thinking space

We usually work both indirectly and directly on strengthening positive core beliefs early in treatment. Most clients aren't ready to directly evaluate their negative core beliefs though until somewhat later in treatment. If you try to evaluate a negative belief too early, the client might think, [My therapist] doesn't understand me. If she did, she would know [that my core belief is true]. Eliciting strong, negative beliefs can trigger intense negative emotion that could lead to early dropout from treatment. IDENTIFYING ADAPTIVE CORE BELIEFS You start identifying core beliefs that are more realistic and adaptive as early in treatment as possible. At the evaluation or first session, you can ask clients to describe the best period in their life. Ways to incorporate more playtime and joy into your relationships at work and at home Tips to turn conflict on its head, using it as an opportunity for building trust and steering clear of resentment You will learn the following: The difference between talking and communicating How to reach deep into the mind and heart of another person How to have a positive impact on others without saying a word How to repair wounded feelings How to preserve trust and stoke the fires of admiration and attraction How Active Is Your Emotionally Intelligent Communication? And it isn't always easy--for a lot of people the process of destressing can actually be stressful itself. What do I eat?

When do I do my breathing exercises? Who will watch the kids if I do? If I get caught in traffic then I'll miss my gym class. So what if you could carry the solution around with you, wherever you go. What if you didn't have to go somewhere to destress. It's possible. If you just figure out how to do it. It took me a while. Boosting your self-esteem will improve your performance. People with high self-esteem are more likeable, have better relationships, and make a better impression on others. People with high self-esteem make better leaders. Before I give you the answers, let's go back in time to 2003. In that year, the American Psychological Association commissioned a `Self-esteem Task Force' to investigate if the claims above (and many other similar ones) were true. So a team of four psychologists from top universities - Roy Baumeister, Jennifer Campbell, Joachim Krueger and Kathleen Vohs - systematically ploughed through decades of published research on self-esteem. They looked long and hard for firm scientific evidence to either confirm or refute these popular beliefs. Then they published their results in an influential journal called Psychological Science in the Public Interest. And what did they find? All three of the above statements are false! Then ask them how they viewed themselves during that period, and if relevant, how they viewed others and the world. Also ask how other people viewed them.

PAULINE: LENNY, looking back at your history, when were you at your best? LENNY: I guess that would have been after high school. PAULINE: Why was that your best time? LENNY: I had moved out of the house. I liked living independently. My best friend was my roommate. I was working in construction and the foreman really liked my work. PAULINE: What else? Most of us have problems dealing with difficult employees, coworkers, peers, or the people we care about in our private lives. The following quiz can give you a quick assessment of your basic emotional intelligence skills. Relationship Quiz Test Your Emotional Intelligence Answer usually, occasionally, or rarely to the following questions: I _____________ sustain eye contact when speaking. I _____________ am comfortable with pauses when others are experiencing emotion. I _____________ sense when someone feels troubled before being told. I _____________ am comfortable with my feelings of sadness, joy, anger, and fear. I _____________ pay attention to my emotions when making decisions. I met trainers, physiotherapists, psychiatrists, endocrinologists and, most of all, I met a lot of people like me. Sure, their lives were different, they dealt with different pressures--but like me, we had all hit breaking point at some stage of our lives.

I'm a genetic cocktail. My father was half Scottish, half Nepalese. My mother is half East Indian, half Portuguese. Which means I got to enjoy the best of four worlds. I was naturally fit from a very young age. Since this was the pre-cable TV and Internet era, we were outdoors a lot. We climbed trees, scraped our knees, and set out to find more branches to conquer. Between my five siblings and me, we were always running around, fighting, wrestling, and just being typical hyperactive kids. They also found that: High self-esteem correlates with egotism, narcissism and arrogance. High self-esteem correlates with prejudice and discrimination. High self-esteem correlates with self-deception and defensiveness when faced with honest feedback. And as if this news weren't bad enough by itself, cast your mind back to the research I cited in article 3: when people with low self-esteem try to boost it through positive self-affirmations, they generally end up feeling even worse! So if trying to raise self-esteem is not worth the effort, then what's the alternative? SELF-ACCEPTANCE Self-acceptance, self-awareness and self-motivation are all far more important than self-esteem. Why is self-acceptance so important? Because when we step out of our comfort zones, things won't always turn out the way we desire. LENNY: (Thinks. I liked hanging around with my buddies .

PAULINE: How did you see yourself? LENNY: As a good guy. PAULINE: As likeable, helpful, worthwhile? PAULINE: As competent? In control? LENNY: Yeah, pretty much. PAULINE: Did other people see you that way too? LENNY: (Thinks. I _____________ have no problem expressing my emotions to others. I _____________ can reduce my stress to a comfortable level. I _____________ enjoy laughing, playing, or kidding around. I _____________ don't feel threatened by disagreements. Answering usually to most of these questions indicates that you have a good start toward emotionally intelligent communication in your relationships. Don't worry if you answered occasionally or rarely. This article will help you build your emotional intelligence skills and improve your relationships at home and work. We look for reasons to explain why we didn't get the job or promotion we deserved; We review our actions, wrack our brains, and search our souls, but rarely do we connect our frustrating and heartbreaking experiences to events that took place in our lives before we could think or speak. Yet during that time of wordless communication, the groundwork was laid for the success or failure in our future relationships. When we were young, everything in our lives ran like clockwork: Wake up, breakfast, school, lunch, nap, homework, play, dinner. Everyone knew the schedule and what they were supposed to be doing at any particular time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.